Coming from Scotland

graeme

Hello Moldova,
We are three Scots, who are coming to visit your country in October for the Scotland Moldova football match.
We have heard much of the beauty of the country, its wines and its women!

We will be visiting Chisinau on Monday and Tuesday the 11th and 12th of October and then through to Tiraszapol on the 13th for the game.

Does anyone have any information or reccomendations as to what to do, where to stay and where to go? Can you reccomend any bars to go to, places to eat or nightclubs to dance in?

Do you know of anyone who could act as an interpreter and driver for us?

We would be most happy to meet up with anyone who is of good help to us.

We will also be going to Kiev and Odessa. DO you have any information on these places as well?

Many Thanks

Hi, first of all, how do you plan to come?? by train, plane,car, bus, boat?? :)
Second, it would be very helpful to know how much money do you wanna spend, it would be easier to provide you with some info by knowing the financial situation.
The "quide", it will not be difficul to find someone who will help you in the whole stuff & don´t worry we will write you a list of bars and restaurants, that you should surely visit....

best regards

hello

Will be coming by overnight train from Kiev. Is it possible to book this in advance, and if so where?

Only want to pay the minimum for a hotel/rooms for something in the centre, which is safe and secure. Maximum about 40 euro a night each.

A list of bars etc. and personal reccomendations would be great!

Thanks

One good thing about Moldova is the cheap beer. Coming from the UK, you'll see a noticeable (and pleasant) difference in this respect. There is a great deal of bars in Chisinau, and you won't have trouble finding one. If you want service in English, be prepared to pay more, however -- there's an Irish Pub, which is all but a typical Irish Pub (it's clean, quiet, comfortable, has a nice restaurant) except for the prices -- beer is extremely expensive by Moldovan standards (I think it's ~2 euro).

English is also spoken in all the restaurants that are listed in the typical guides like "The Lonely Planet" (get one from amazon.co.uk). But, again, these are much more expensive that the usual places where Moldovans drink and eat -- moreover, you'd not be getting any feeling of the "real" Moldovan drinking spirit if you make the expensive choice :)

Where to stay -- this is a hard one. If you prefer to enjoy the real communist-style rooms, check out the "Chisinau" and "Turist" hotels. As far as I remember, one single room is ~20 euro/night. If you want nice rooms -- and regular hot water -- check out "Codru", "Dacia", "Jolly Alon", "Dedeman" or "Monte Nelly" (you should be able to google for them). These are 3-5 star hotels, with rooms priced accordingly (75 euro/night upwards). If I were you, I'd stay at the cheaper hotels -- 2 nights don't make such a difference anyways, especially when you'll be out the entire day.

As far as night-life is concerned, I'd visit at least the following places: "Nostalgie" (cocktail-bar), "La Taifas" (restaurant with typical Moldovan cuisine), "La Taifas/Dejavu cocktail-bar" (it's just around the corner), the "Soho" disco, and "Pani-pit" (very nice "theater"-bar, as they call it -- with piano, nice atmosphere and acceptable prices).

Finally, some links:

http://www.lataifas.com/restoran/eng/
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/europe/moldova
http://www.allmoldova.com/index.php?action=tree_list&id=1061906295&lang=en
http://www.cvs.md/en/ (if you really have a lot of money :))

I hope that this is a good introduction. Let us know if you need more information!

Re: hello

graeme hetherington said:
Will be coming by overnight train from Kiev. Is it possible to book this in advance, and if so where?

I don't think it's possible to buy a ticket anywhere else except from Kiev... but check out http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en for timetables (Kiev->Chisinau), it might be helpful when planning your trip.

Only want to pay the minimum for a hotel/rooms for something in the centre, which is safe and secure. Maximum about 40 euro a night each.

Forgot to say -- both of the cheaper hotels that I mentioned are located in the centre. I can't say too much about their security (but nothing can be said about security in Moldova in general :))

list of bars etc. and personal reccomendations would be great!

One of the links that I posted has all the addresses and phone numbers of the bars/restaurants (and they seem to list the good ones). This should come in handy when you're there already and look for some place to go.

Whay didn´t you call the ambassy of the U.K in Moldova? ( ASITO building Office 320 57/1 Banulescu-Bodoni Str. Chisinau 2005 phone: +3732238991) There you can get all kind of information you need!

Anybody willing to meet up with us and take us to a few bars when we get there? It would be great to see some of the real Moldova and go to the bars where the Moldovans go.

Graeme
if you dont find anyone to take you around, let me know and i will organize something. ONr thing i can do is give you a couple of emails of the Americans workinf and living in Moldova-MOldova style, they can tell you much more. Let me know.

I'd sugest U to accept Ingula's offer. It would be better if U'll be acompanied by anyone who is allready in moldova.

advice

Happy to take advice from all sane individuals.

What are the main scams, to be aware of?

Would like to know if it is possible to do a trip to the wine cellars at Cricova (apologies for the spelling). Most seem to be quite expensive and have to be group organised. Can you just hire a taxi and go out?

Graeme

Be aware to pay for something without knowing the real price, that's why it would be beter to be acompanied. Do not exchange the money in nonauthorized places, do not leave your things unatended, do not accept offers to be acompanied by the persons U'll meet there. Get an recomendet person by somebody from this forum.

travel plans

Defintely 11th-13th, but may be a bit longer either way.

Probably go down to Odessa after that and come back up for the weekend.

It all depends if we fly to kiev and take the train, or fly to Madrid and then direct to Chisinau.

if you dont have anyone, i am sure we can find you a student or two( moldovans) to take care of you while you are in Moldova. or if you want Americans, we can do that to. Let me know if you are interested. Do you know where you are already staying?
why dont you send me a private message and tell me more so i can try to help you coordinate the trip

bereza said:
hey, and what's the best time to visit Moldova? spring, autumn? in summer it's quite hot, isn't? :)

Visit and don't stay to long... don't you even plan to move and stay in Moldova... We have a lot of rusofons here who are closing our romanian schools in transnistria and we don't know what to do with this rusofons...
Don't come to Moldova! You are not welcomed here.

Gigolo said:
bereza said:
hey, and what's the best time to visit Moldova? spring, autumn? in summer it's quite hot, isn't? :)

Visit and don't stay to long... don't you even plan to move and stay in Moldova... We have a lot of rusofons here who are closing our romanian schools in transnistria and we don't know what to do with this rusofons...
Don't come to Moldova! You are not welcomed here.

U are crazy bastard, fellows are coming to visit moldova not to solve our problems! And who the fu@ck U are to decide if they are welcome or not!?

bereza, if you don't like the hot weather, I think the best time to see Moldova is autumn.. first of all, it's the season of fruits, vegetables, the wine is being prepared during that period... then, all the theatres, exibitions open after the summer vacation... also in autumn we have some great festivals as The Jazz Festival, which as far as I remember will take place on 23-25 of September... also I can mention here the One Man Show festival, which is also a great cultural event... usually in autumn (again after the summer break) in Chisinau take place a lot of great concerts of rock-, jazz-bands...

if you want to find out some other details, you are welcome...

Back