Volunteer work in Moldova

Micheal20

Hello,

First, my apologies for not being able to communicate to you in either Romanian or Russian. I hope my English text doesn't pose a problem.

My name is Micheal and I live in Holland (Amsterdam). This summer I plan to visit Moldova for the first time. It is a country that I find very interesting. As far as I know it's the only country in Europe that still has a communist government. My goal is to work on a volunteer project somewhere in Moldova. I did something similar in Serbia in 2006 and I really enjoyed that.

I would really like it if people here could give me some information about the country. Is it true that people can both speak Romanian and Russian? What about English, can most (young) people speak it a bit? Is it possible to pay in dollars or in Euros? Are people in Moldova pro-Western or more pro-Russian? Another point is that I'm still trying to find a place to live during my time there. I like to find a Moldovan (or Romanian) website where they have advertisements for houses that you can rent.

It would be much appreciated by me if someone could answer a few of my above questions.

Greetings,
Micheal

PS I think my post belongs here because it is about Moldova society and I couldn't find a travel sub-forum. Plus, to be honest, I thought more people would see it here.

Hi

Moldova....
Is not a country as U think.... Stable...

Serbia is different.... The balkans are unique... If U like balkans, Kosovo is for U, as a peace maker;)

And the Euros do not circulate here.... Nor the U$D... only the local currency ... the MLD....

An adwise... get back and mind your own health problems!!!!!!!

Bye

Well, that's not a very welcoming message. I didn't quite understand it, though, maybe you could clarify it? Are you saying that Moldova is a stable country or that it is not? Thanks for filling me in on the money issue.
It's no problem, I'll just exchange my euros for MLD.

Thanks also for your concern about my health, but what did you mean by it? That it is too dangerous or that I should improve things in my own country before I come to do those things in Moldova? Actually, I have already done similar work in the Netherlands.

You see, I see myself as being part of a larger community. I think it's quite normal that people sometimes work to help those of us who are less fortunate. So why do this in Moldova? Well, there are selfish reasons for that I suppose.
I would like to see more of Eastern Europe than I already have. It's also part holiday for me. What's wrong with showing an interest in your fellow Europeans?

Well Anton is clearly exagerating. Moldova is a lot better than Serbia in terms of stability. Not even that dangerous. Ruled by the communists, Well, most of the population (around 70%) is Romanian, but they also know russian, the former lingua franca in the Soviet Union. Young people must also know English. As for money, you should probably change dollars and euros in the local currency - lei.

I'm a Romanian living in Romania, so I can only help with general information. I can't fill you in on the details. I'm sure other colleagues will.

Hello Michael,

You are welcomed to came to Moldova for all "generous" purposes. You are not the first volunteer nor the last who came in Moldova. I have meet some foreign volunteers and generally I have good opinions about them.

You can find useful information about Moldova here http://www.ournet.md/en.html

Anton exagerated about health problems ... we are a peaceful country and if you are a nice person you will gain respect and you will not get in troubles.

Please enjoy visiting our country and let us know you opinions.

PS: it will be better if you know Romanian or Russian for communication, otherwise you will need a translator as many people do not know english. The english is for "elevated" people.

hackus;209229 said:
If you don't know Romanian, or Russian how do you want to implement your activity ?
With caution... and sign language. hackus, don't be such an idiot. You're second on this topic and it's a lil' borring, you know?

Andolino; Husky,

Thanks for the informative replies. I figured Moldova is more stable; it is very rare to see the country mentioned in the news over here so they must be doing something right! On the other hand, I've heard reports that Moldova is the poorest nation in Europe. Is this true? I'm wondering what the average monthly income is, is it possible to find this information somewhere on the web or does anyone here have a guess?

About the possible language difficulties, we will be traveling with someone who speaks fluent Romanian who can serve as an interpretor. What about the weather? I'm assuming that the summers can get pretty hot in Moldova. The website contained many useful links, I now have much more information. Now I only have to find a place to live. I don't want to pay 400 euros a month for a 2 room flat. Isn't there a cheaper way to get a place?

Micheal, Welcome to our Forum!
Moldova might be the poorest European country, according to the European Union's books, and especially when comparing their wages to Moldova's. However, you ask a Moldovan if he or she believes that they are the poorest people in Europe, you will likelly get laughed at. Or maybe you will be invited into their house to sit down with them for a glass of wine and talk about it. First of all, this wage comparison is not an accurate way of describing wealth, simply because in Moldova there are other ways to make a living, besides the regural job. Many people own their houses or flats, meaning there is no rent or mortgage(thanx to more than 50 years of communism). Many people if not most, have land or much of their near family living in the country, where much of the produce comes from. So it's difficult to find a starving Moldovan.
It can be said that Moldovans lack the luxury, of being able to buy what they want, when they want it. For example, someone in Western Europe, wants to buy the new model of the Opel Vectra, because he/she likes it's futuristic look. The person will go to the dealership and simply buy it. (actually borrowes from the bank and makes payments on his newly aquired vehicle).
For a Moldovan it will happen a little differently; he/she will not buy the brand new Opel this year just because it just came out and it looks cool, but will simply have to wait. Generally banks will not give out 20.000E loans to somoene who makes say 100Euros a month(plus banks there are not exactly reliable). So maybe 3 years later the price on that Opel is now only be 60-70% of that used to be brand new. With help from relatives and friends, plus money that was saved wainting, during these years or working abroad, the Moldovan will purchase this Opel, with cash. (final score: Moldovan 1, Bank 0;)) Generally people owe what they have. Of course this is for the average, there are many people who will never be able to afford a car, but then there are those who can buy the whole dealership.:rolleyes:
Moldova is currently going thru a difficult period, where the old ways are replaced by the new. Prices are going up every year, while the wages simply don't keep up. You will notice, the buildings and the roads are in shambles, typical of east European countries, but this only accounts for looks. The trees are not properly trimmed or the grass is not cut, which just makes it more interesting or different, in my view.
In Moldova you will be welcomed very well; people like visitors and guests and further more enjoy meeting people from other countries. I am not Moldovan, myself, but I managed to meet a lot of good people and make a lot of friends; if you are a decent individual, you will receive the deserved repect.
One negative aspect, watch for theieves or robbers(it sounds serious, because it is), crime in Moldova is quite high, when compared to Western Europe; I assume your translator would know about that. I am not talking about the petty crime that people are accustomed to in western Europe, like the gypsies and so on...what I mean is organized gangs/ assault rifles, the whole nine yards. You should however have nothing to do with these individuals.

PiggyEFromHell;209249 said:
With caution... and sign language. hackus, don't be such an idiot. You're second on this topic and it's a lil' borring, you know?

You write that I'm an idiot when you talking like one ?

Micheal20;209254 said:
Andolino; Husky,

Thanks for the informative replies. I figured Moldova is more stable; it is very rare to see the country mentioned in the news over here so they must be doing something right! On the other hand, I've heard reports that Moldova is the poorest nation in Europe. Is this true? I'm wondering what the average monthly income is, is it possible to find this information somewhere on the web or does anyone here have a guess?

About the possible language difficulties, we will be traveling with someone who speaks fluent Romanian who can serve as an interpretor. What about the weather? I'm assuming that the summers can get pretty hot in Moldova. The website contained many useful links, I now have much more information. Now I only have to find a place to live. I don't want to pay 400 euros a month for a 2 room flat. Isn't there a cheaper way to get a place?

As for finding a place to live, it's easy, you get what you pay for. If you wish to live in a luxury condo in downtown Chisinau, you may have to fork out even more than 400E. If your expectations are reasonable, you may even be able to get away with half that. As soon as you get there, start enquiring and informing yourself as to what is available. Most hotels don't come cheap(I've learned that the hard way...), so have a friend or your translator hook you up with a decent place as you're looking for the apartment.
In the meantime check this out, sorry it's in Romanian, but you should be able to figure it out: http://www.anunt.md/rom/imobiliare/anunturi/gazda.php
The weather can get quite warm, last summer I measured over 46 degrees celius during the middle of July(and that wasn't the warmest day) and it was HOT during most of that month; and yes, if you purchase a vehicle, make sure it has working AC; while driving in Moldova is fun, driving in the capital is a nightmare and whatever you do, don't get into accidents; cops are assholes, specially if you don't bribe:rolleyes: and they carry guns...the big nasty ones.;)
And if I remeber you were enquiring about wages and salaries; the average range is anywhere from 50EU to 250EU, depending on location(town or city).
Hopefully we've answered most of your questions.

PS: Disregard the boys...they're ussually in a pissy mood when their toys get broken.:D
hackus;209272 said:
You write that I'm an idiot when you talking like one ?

Micheal20;209254 said:
Andolino; Husky,

1. Yes ... it is the poorest country in Europe ... the medium wage is about 200 USD;
2. If you want to find some information about renting an apartment please have a look on this website www.makler.md ... it's in Russian so you will need a translator, but there is a lot of information you will not find in English.
3. The weather - I suppose you can find a lot of information in English too.
4. 400 Euros ?????? ... where do you want to live ... in a Palace?

Andolino;209326 said:
4. 400 Euros ?????? ... where do you want to live ... in a Palace?
Andolino, there are places that cost this much... but it is not usual and, how previously said, luxurious places.

Hi Michael, Im in the same way than you, I'll probably go to Moldova too.. for vacations, I'm from Mexico, I was interested in an volunteer work also and I've found some websites that may help you.

http://www.marisha.net
This is a website of a moldavian girl who can help you to get information about acommodations, suggestions, places to go, transpotation, etc.

http://www.projects-abroad.co.uk/
If you want to know about volunteer programs in Moldova and other countries check this site, there is information about costs, activities description, and other useful information.

If you get some other information let me know.
My email is juancarlos_borbon@yahoo.com.mx

Good luck!

Re: Hi

Anton;209153 said:
Moldova....
Is not a country as U think.... Stable...

Serbia is different.... The balkans are unique... If U like balkans, Kosovo is for U, as a peace maker;)

And the Euros do not circulate here.... Nor the U$D... only the local currency ... the MLD....

An adwise... get back and mind your own health problems!!!!!!!

Bye

Hidrocentrala;209231 said:
Iata ca a inceput englezificarea poporului.

Baieti, Uniunea Sovietica este moarta. Acum noi suntem prieteni. Moldova este o tara Romana si Europeana. Cum a votat Sfatul Tarii in urma cu 90 de ani ;).

Rusia n-a mai iubit Moldova, si nu va schimba acum. Noi suntem prieteni vostri adevarati. Deci nu fiti asa dusmani.

Ajutati tara voastra cum vrem sa facem noi.

Hallo landgenoot,

Let maar niet op ze, maar pas op dat je geen tere zieltjes plat trapt ;)

I have the same plans, but it's not easy to find any volunteer work in Moldova. What doesn't mean that it wouldn't be necessary.

Although, indeed 'the poorest country in Europe' raises wrong expectations. If you expect to find that, you'll be surprised. Moldova is not much worse than Romania for example. And Chisinau is just a nice and pleasant city.

Moldova has more political problems though. And not enough investments, which results in a bad economic growth and growing unequality.
The problem that some people prefer to ignore that, is a bigger problem ;)

Back